Monday, September 13, 2010

Doctor couple’s tiff takes ugly turn

Doctor couple’s tiff takes ugly turn

13 Sep 2010

While wife alleges that her husband led a police-lawyer team to barge into her home under the pretext of executing a court order, husband says that he is being implicated

Marriages are made in heaven, it is said, but for 27-year-old medical practitioner Pragati Chhajed, it was a hell of an experience after her  marriage  with a fellow practitioner, Sachin Chhajed, turned sour.
Now as a domestic violence case is on between her and her estranged doctor husband, Pragati alleges that her husband and in-laws, tried to intimidate her by arriving at her residence in Sadashiv Peth late in the night on last Monday.
According to the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC), the male police constable should avoid visitng any residence especially where women are living alone. If necessary, a lady police constable should accompany any police team.
Pragati, who is from Amravati is pursuing her MD in BAMS, had married Dr Sachin in June 2006.
In less than three years the relation soured and Pragati filed a case against Dr Sachin and his parents under the Domestic Violence Act, 2005, in February 2010, charging her husband and in-laws with regular mental and physical torture. 
After she was provided interim relief by the Judicial Magistrate (First Class) Court (JMFC), Sachin went into appeal in the Sessions Court but could succeed only in securing a part-modification of the earlier court’s order.
Sachin then filed a fresh application before the JMFC, which allowed him and his family to reside together in the flat which was in possession of Pragati. The magistrate had also directed earlier this month that the two warring parties must obey the order passed by the Sessions Court.
WHAT HAPPENED ON MONDAY
Dr Pragati recalled the incident on Monday,  "On Monday at around 8.30 in the night, my husband and father-in-law, accompanied by two lady lawyers and two male constables, entered my Sadashiv Peth residence.
On being asked the reason for arriving at such late hours and that too without a lady constable, the police informed that they were there to execute a court order directing them to take survey and possession of the flat. They treated me shabbily and alleged that I was a trespasser on my co-owned property.”
“When I inquired with the police whether they studied the court order properly before coming to my place, they were unable to give a justifiable explanation.
The two lawyers and Sachin forced their entry into the house. Sachin later threatened saying that he will see how I reside in the flat.
I was subjected to abusive taunts and humiliated in front of the police and a neighbour. Somehow I managed to reach Deputy Commissioner of Police (Zone I), D Phadtare, on his mobile and narrated the incident and after his intervention the police left.
I immediately rushed to police station fearing a backlash from Sachin and his father and registered a case against them and the two lady lawyers," she added.
Pragati further informed, "My lawyer Asim Sarode helped me in gettting a monthly maintenance from my husband. More importantly Sarode, secured a order from the court directing my husband to return all my medical text books and my research material, which has not been complied with so far."
HUBBYS DEFENCE
Dr Sachin has denied all the allegation that were made by Dr Pragati. He said, “My parents and I were thrown out of the house at 11pm and we were not even aware about any such incident.
When I went to appeal in the Sessions Court, it  had directed me to reside in the  same flat along with my parents. This order had to be  followed from March 2010, but for the last six months I didn’t get any  response from her. Moreover,  I am residing at a rental flat with my parents. 
So I filed an application and sought the order in which the court had directed both the parties to obey the law. But on Monday we went there to asked if she had received  any court order. We are innocent and it is Pragati who is fabricating and falsely implicating us.”
WHAT POLICE SAYS
DCP Dnyashwar Phadtare admitted that police went to Dr Pragati’s residence, but to implement the court order. "On enquiring with my staff about this incident, I was informed that they went to the Pragati’s house as she remained unavailable during day time and were only trying to serve the court’s order on the same day," DCP Phadtare said.

 

http://www.punemirror.in/article/2/20100913201009130223022054fa7422/Doctor-couple%E2%80%99s-tiff-takes-ugly-turn.html

No comments:

Post a Comment