It is all the more necessary that a new section of IPC 304C be made and girl and her family be arrested for every death of any HUSBAND within 7 years of marriage
section 304C IPC
Where the death of a MAN is caused by any burns or bodily injury or occurs otherwise than under normal circumstances within seven years of his marriage and it is shown that soon before his death he was subjected to cruelty or harassment by his wife or any relative of his wife for, or in connection with, any demand for money or property , such death shall be called "honour killing" and such wife or relative shall be deemed to have caused his death.
Dis-Honour killings - the perpetrators of the crimes were from the girl’s family says National Commission for Women (NCW),Ministry of Women and Child Development
The study commissioned by the National Commission for Women (NCW). and carried out by NGO Shakti Vahini was confined to the States of Haryana, Punjab and Western Uttar Pradesh. However, 560 cases profiled by the NGO reflects that it is a north Indian phenomenon.
The study reveals that in 88.93% of the total 560 cases surveyed, the perpetrators of the crimes were from the girl’s family.
The Study Report has inter-alia highlighted the following:-
• Honour Killings have been reported most from those areas where the Khap Panchayats are active.
• Shakti Vahini studied 560 cases where couples have been threatened. Of these 560 cases, 121 persons have been killed.
• Honour Killings are less about gotra issue and more about inter caste marriages.
• Violence and threatening of couples has been reported both from rural and urban areas and from almost all sections of the society.
• The reaction to the inter-caste marriages are much stronger and violent when the girl marries a dalit or to a lower caste than her own.
• The skewed sex ratio in the area has led to the worsening of the status of women in this region.
This information was given by Smt. Krishna Tirath, Minister of State for Women and Child Development in a written reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha today.